Wednesday 15 May 2013

SYD/SIN/QRS

The call came in from the airport standby desk (I do so look forward to our little chats). They wanted me for the Australia trip. Two nights in Singapore on the way down, one in Sydney and another two in Singapore on the way home was the gist of the itinerary.
 


I had anticipated that I may be used to operate to India or USA and had the corresponding field guides. Space in the suitcase is limited and going to SYD via SIN without a field guide to either, was going to be a challenge. So while I plough through some identification issues and reacquaint myself with my family, here is a quick summary to be going on with.

Sungei Buloh is Singapore’s Premier birding reserves. It is a series of managed ponds and mangroves at the top of the island looking across to Malaysia.

The post from Singapore’s Botanic Gardens will naturally feature a quick stop via Heliconia Walk.

A visit to Kent Ridge Park was intended as an oding expedition, but the highlight was a pair of White-crested Laughingthrushes.

In Sydney, my trip to Bi-Centennial Park and Powell’s Creek Park was so good that despite their closeness, they may end up as two posts.

The Oloolu Trail in Royal National Park, south of Sydney, is a eucalypt and coastal heath habitat that produced as many honeyeaters as I have ever seen.

Finally, an accidental turn and a fortuitous discovery brought a snake and my only red letter bird of the trip in the form of a Blue-eared Kingfisher at Singapore Quarry.


All the links will be made as the posts are published, but first, some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment